Saturday, March 20, 2010

Hits & Misses: Spring Training Game 20

Rockies 11, Angels 10 (Boxscore)

Hits

Eric Young Jr.

Three run triple... FTW!

That'll do the confidence a whole lot of good right there. He also doubled in the contest. Big, big day for Junior.

Ryan Spilborghs

Spilly with a big 3-for-4, double, triple. double. 2 run, 2 RBI afternoon. He did the early damage against a tough lefty in Scott Kazmir. I can't imagine he'll sit against a lefty very often, if at all, this coming season. I wouldn't be against a straight up platoon with Brad Hawpe.

Wilin Rosario

This team has crazy catching depth. That means Rosario is probably a good two years away from regular playing time in Colorado, OR he's going to packaged in a big trade should the Rockies need to make one this season. I'd like to see him make it with the Rockies though. He just seems like a can't miss talent.

Misses

Jeff Francis

So it looked bad, and it was bad, but there was a silver lining here. Francis, after being shelled for two straight innings, was able to gather himself and pitch two scoreless innings to finish. I think that's almost as postive as the first two innings were negative. Almost.

I think, no, I know I'd feel safter with Greg Smith in the rotation ahead of Francis to start the season. That's not likely to happen, though.

Defense

Garbage defense sure didn't Francis' cause any today. According to the boxscore Barmes was charged with three errors in the game. I actually believe he just had one. I know Mora misplayed a ball third, his regular position, that was ruled an error. I also believe the first error on Barmes should have been credit to Jonathan Herrera. Either way, a three-error game for a team is brutal. I don't expect many of those in the regular season.

0 comments: