Chris Iannetta makes his hopefully triumphant return to the starting lineup tonight. Not a big fan of the catching rotation so far, even if Olivo has knocked a couple balls over the fence. I prefer to see Iannetta get 60-40 split in his favor unless it's clear he's struggling. Right now it's looking more 60-40 in Olivo's favor.
No Hawpe or Gonzalez in the lineup. Hawpe sounds more likely to pinch-hit or play defense. Indications are CarGo would only see emergency action.
Less than 10 minutes from first pitch. Let's ensure a winning homestand tonight.
- Bob Apodaca mic'ed up tonight. This oughta be interesting.
- Todd Helton made an error. Holy Sh*t.
- Jose Reyes walks to third as the Rockies completely fall asleep defensively. Not the sharpest start mentally.
- Cookie pitches around the error, the mental lapse, and a little bit of wildness to earn a scoreless first. I fully expect him to settle in now.
- Kinda starting to wonder when Dexter Fowler will start hitting righties or lefties this season. *Inhale* Patience.
- Jeff Francoeur just launched the first pitch. Why the hell do you give a first pitch free swinger anything to hit there?
- Rockies don't score first for the first time this year.
- Clint Barmes pulls an RBI double in the corner. As I mentioned in the preview, Barmes has Niese's number.
- Cook & Smith pop out to strange a couple more in scoring position. Seven inning game tonight.
- Rockies 1, Mets 1
- Troy Tulowitzki with a gem on Jose Reyes.
- Cook hasn't settled down yet. Leaves one right in David Wright's wheelhouse. Wright hurt it badly.
- Todd Helton beats a ridiculous Mets shift with a double to right. That's a rally starter.
- Because Ryan Spilborghs just went straight away center with a 3-run bomb. That was abso-freaking-lutely demolished.
- Rockies 4, Mets 3
- Cook catches a big break on a call at second base that helps work him through the inning. He's not fooling too many guys and just looks like he's trying to survive five innings. Still a chance to settle in though.
- Cookie doubles to the oppo gap. Couple fantastic swings from him tonight.
- It's Dexter! Singles to right, distracts the defense long enough for Cook to score from second. Some skilled, aggressive baserunning by all involved.
- Rockies 5, Mets 3
- Running the bases is exactly what Cook needed to burn that excess energy. Pitches his best inning of the night striking out Wright and Bay.
- Nisee has made some adjustments with Barmes, Throw it hard away or above of the letters and then watch him swing and miss.
- A clearly refreshed Cook has missed with 8 of his 9 pitches in the 6th. 1st and 2nd with no outs.
- Cook pitches around the traffic again. His start has turned into a Cookmanlike grind it out special.
- Speaking of Cook... he just doubled again. Three doubles for Rockies pitchers in this series.
- And Cook stands at second the whole inning. Nice job by the Mets Valdez to make Helton look absolutely silly for an entire AB.
- Matt Daley takes the 7th. Overall you can't be displeased with Cook tonight. Hopefully it'll hold up.
- Ian Stewart's second error of the season doesn't deter Daley. Good to see the pitchers pitching around the defensive lapses, which, by the way, are still happening too frequently.
- Mets do everything wrong -- hit, error, wild pitch -- but Rockies can't add on.
- Rafael Betancourt takes the ball for the 8th. Setting up just how the Rockies like it.
- Except for the leadoff single by Jason Bay. That's not in the plan.
- On the verge of a scoreless inning, Betancourt gives Rod Barajas a cookie he can handle on an 0-2 pitch. Cuts the lead in half. That was a head scratcher.
- Rockies 5, Mets 4
- Batten down the hatches... here comes Franklin.
- Tulo mishandles a play we're used to seeing him make routinely. Wasn't easy by any stretch, but just shows the Rockies are a step slow defensively.
- Iannetta throwing error leads to a sac fly. We're tied up. Morales should have had a 1-2-3 inning.
- Hoping we can get a walk-off here. Rockies don't need any marathons early in this two week sold stretch.
- Crickets for the Rockies bats in the 9th. Here we go again.
- Rockies 5, Mets 5
- Manny Corpas in. Shatters Mike Jacobs bat... and the ball bounces off the scoreboard for a double.
- Randy Flores cleans up a mini-mess left by Corpas. Please walk-off. Now.
- Thank you, Chris Iannetta. Thank you!
- Final: Rockies 6, Mets 5