The "A" lineup returns. Iannetta is back in for Olivo.
- San Diego already utilizing their third different lead-off man. That says a lot.
- Jason Hammel channels Greg Smith by nibbling around Tony Gwynn Jr. Please attack him... it's not the old man.
- That sneaky Tulowitzki gets in behind Gwynn and the Rockies execute a perfect pickoff. Gwynn hated the call. No one cared.
- What a play by Chase Headley to throw out Fowler after he lined one off Latos' backside. Looked like a sure hit.
- Chase Headley attempts to stretch a single into a double. Carlos Gonzalez is not in a giving mood.
- Back-to-back web gem candidates as Tulo makes a fine running throw in the hole. Rockies defense is out of its early season slump.
- Mat Latos with a couple low pitch, high quality innings. He looks like he could go deep in this one unless the Rockies change their approach up.
- Hammel pitches around a lead-off single without much trouble. Looks pretty sharp through three.
- Chris Iannetta leads off the Rockies third with an opposite field homer. LOVE to see that swing. Drive it hard where it's must to be driven!
- Jason Hammel strikes out bunting. He was a good bunter in the spring at least.
- Carlos Gonzalez picks up Hammel by singling home Barmes.
- Rockies 2, Padres 0
- Hammel losing his command. He follows a Gonzalez single with a HBP and a walk to load the bases. Only one out.
- Will Venable clears the bases with a triple. Hammel's inability to limit traffic bites him on the ass again.
- The only thing Jason Hammel has command of tonight is his pickoff move. Now has two on the evening.
- He was follows that up with an awful pitch to Evereth Cabrera, who doubles in another run. Really shitty location.
- Brad Hawpe gets one up in the wind to cut the lead in half. His first HR of the season. Another opposite field job.
- Padres 4, Rockies 3
- Hammel recovers with a six pitch, 1-2-3 inning. Will remain in the game.
- Latos follows suit with a 1-2-3 fifth. Very spiffy inning.
- Helton starts a crisp 3-6 DP with Tulo applying the tag. Another fast inning for Hammel.
- Brad Hawpe homers for the second straight AB to the opposite field. I believe the same fan caught both homers. We have a three inning game starting... now.
- Rockies 4, Padres 4
- Wow did Jason Hammel ever settle down. Started with three excellent innings and closed with three that were even better. Too bad for that really shitty inning the middle.
- Matt Latos pitched six pretty solid innings himself. He gave way to Luke Gregorsen, who responded with a 1-2-3 inning.
- Rafael Betancourt takes over in the 8th. Has a little bad luck after striking out Chase Headley as Iannetta loses track of the ball. That loaded the bases for Will Venable, who earlier in the game cleared the bases with a triple. Betancourt blows him away on three pitches to end the inning. No sweat at all for big Raffy.
- Silent 8th for the Rockies offense. I think it may be Franklin Morales time in the 9th. That'll make some Rockies fans uncomfortable.
- Franklin Morales works a very clean 9th inning. Only one iffy pitch that resulted in a hit.
- Headed to our first extra inning game of the season. Aside from the Hawpe homer, the offense has done nothing since the second inning.
- Matt Daley retires the first two easily. Rockies then put on some silly shift for Kyle Blanks who finds the vacated area. Now 1st-and-3rd for Will Venable. Randy Flores to take that assignment.
- Flores gets his man. Rockies dodging a number of bullets tonight.
- Jason Giambi walks, Greg Smith pinch-runs. Pinch-running pitchers always makes me nervous.
- Matt Belisle will handle the 11th.
- Matt Belisle works a 1-2-3 11th. Pitching not a problem tonight.
- Not a problem for San Diego either. Let's play 12.
- Belisle back out for the 12th. Running into a jam with 1st-and-2nd one out. Big Kyle Blank stands in. Keep the ball DOWN.
- Guess what? Will Venable to hit with the bases loaded for the third time tonight. 1-for-3, 3 RBI.
- The Rockies dodge yet another bullet. Now would be a great time to end this thing.
- A single from Stewart is all the Rockies can muster. Lucky 13 coming up.
- Manny Corpas works a clean 13th. I'm begging for a walk-off. Let's get out of here. NOW!
- Not gonna happen. 1-2-3 yet again.
- Padres strike for one off Corpas on a Gonzalez double. Maybe all the motivation the Rockies needed was a deficit.
- Helton has his expected professional, which ended with a walk. Tulowitzki followed by swinging at the first pitch and GIDP.
- After a Hawpe double and an intentional walk of Stewart, Heath Bell humiliates Chris Iannetta to end t he game. A tough to swallow for sure.
- Padres 5, Rockies 4