Seems we had some bad information earlier. Todd Helton will not start today. It will be Jason Giambi and his lifetime 2-for-20 against Jon Garland. Not that I care about those numbers at all. Ian Stewart and Carlos Gonzalez start once again. They're turning into workhorses. Melvin Mora starts for Barmes and hits 8th. Olivo in for Iannetta. Seth Smith in for Dexter Fowler and hitting second.
Away we go.
- Cabrera starts the game with an impressive 10 pitch AB. Jimenez ultimately wins the battle with a strikeout and then handles Jerry Hairston and Adrian Goznalez for a relatively easy first.
- The Show projected three walks for Seth Smith. He got one out of the way in the first. Rockies fail to cash that in and we have a scoreless first in Denver.
- Chase Headley really is a nice hitter. 6-game hitting streak to start the season. Nice player.
- Old friend Yorvit Torrealba grounds out on a nice play by Stewart to end a mild threat.
- Rockies mounting little offense so far again today. A pair of walks and that's all.
- Jimenez fans a pair in the 3rd. Up to five on the game to go with a walk and a hit.
- Mora doubles leading off, but gets tagged out at third on Ubaldo's bunt attempt. Not the fleetest of foot these days.
- Tulowitzki drops a 2-run single into rightcenter. Turns around and gets picked off to keep the inning from being bigger. We'll take the hit though.
- Rockies 2, Padres 0
- Jimenez works around a 1st and 2nd no out situation in the middle of the Padre order. Pitch count sitting between 70-75. Hopefully he can get into the 7th, but that'll be difficult with the patience Padres' hitters are showing.
- Carlos Gonzalez exits with left hamstring tightness. See, I just knew he needed that day off today. Fowler takes over in center.
- Miguel Olivo hits his second homer of the season. Both were off the glove of an outfielder. Braun in Milwaukee, Gwynn today.
- Rockies 3, Padres 0
- A Gwynn double to the corner and a 60 foot dribbler from Garland give the Pads 1st and 3rd. Jimenez recovers to retire on Cabrera on a popup. Pitch count climbing to over 90. Jimenez is probably good for one more inning.
- Indeed Jimenez hits for himself.
- Fowler rips a triple into the corner for his first AB. Smith immediately singles him home. That's what I like to see from Fowler at the top of the order.
- San Diego earns a cheap, two out run as Giambi can't knock down a Chase Headley ball down the line. Will Venable dumps one into center to get San Diego the board.
- Tulowitzki boots one now and the door is open for San Diego.
- Jimenez strikes out Gwynn but the Fathers are right back in it at 4-2.
- Poor defense and lackadaisical play is putting the Rockies in positions to lose games. This team's success is dependent on them playing exactly opposite of that.
- Rockies 4, Padres 2
- There is it: Melvin Mora's first error as a 2B. Ugh.
- Randy Flores on to face Adrian Gonzalez, who represents the tying run. Hits him square in the back. That's one way to assure he doesn't beat you! No damage in the 7th.
- Notice how I'm skipping over the Rockies ABs? That's because nothing is happening. Right back in the late inning funk we saw last night.
- Matt Daley pitches a solid 8th inning. A couple insurance runs would be nice here just to remind us that this team can score.
- Rockies offense provides no insurance and that's okay, because Franklin Morales didn't need any.
- Another very pitched game by the Rockies staff. More on it a little later on.
- Final Score: Rockies 4, Padres 2