San Diego opens their broadcast showing highlights of Greg Smith's last outing.
<---- A lot of that from Smith.
- LeBlanc starts off with an efficient 1-2-3 inning. Would have preferred a run or two to help Smith settle in. Can't always get what we want.
- Thank you Tony Gwynn Jr.! Swings and pops up the first pitch.
- After a basehit by Eckstein, Olivo guns him out on a failed hit-and-run. That's right.. help the kid out.
- And now Gonzalez walks. Not the worst result in the world.
- Headley grounds out. Not a smooth start by any means, but encouraging!
- 6 up, 6 down for Barry Zito Wade LeBlanc. Lots of ugly, off balance swings in the early going.
- Scott Hairston has a couple good swings that go foul, so Smith walks him, then turns around and picks him off. We'll just take the outs.
- And another walk. That's three. Command just isn't there.
- Smith gets a popup and a strikeout of Torreabla. Ubaldo is seen taking notes on how he did that.
- LeBlanc has a MUCH wider strike zone than Smith does. Stewart called out on a ball that was 8 inches outside.
- Greg Smith breaks up the perfect game with an infield single. That figures!
- LeBlanc returns the favor by singling off Smith.
- 5 Padres reached the first time through. 2 hits, 3 walks, 2 outs on the bases, 4 regular outs.
- Mora drops a liner. Should have been a double play. Now Gwynn gets to run instead of the pitcher.
- That's three scoreless for Smith so far. Not all pretty, but indeed all scoreless. Let's get the kid some runs now!
- Rockies load the bases with one out and leave them that way. Ian Stewart was screwed again on a couple strike calls. Smith isn't getting those calls I assure you.
- Padres on the board first. Jerry Hairston triples to deep left center, scoring Headley from first. Smith has been playing with fire all night. Finally catches up.
- Padres 1, Rockies 0
- Let's wake the bats up already. Smith is keeping you in the game. Reward him!
- Greg Smith leads off with a double. EY fails to move him over or do anything productive.
- However, CarGo picks him and doubles Smith to the house. Good to strike right back.
- Helton drives in the go ahead run on a hard single to right. Who needs a home run?
- Rockies 2, Padres 1
- I often wonder how Todd Helton only has three Gold Gloves. Plays like the one he just made on Tony Gwynn are what make me wonder.
- Smith follows that up with his 5th walk. Sets up Adrian Gonzalez.
- Mora botches another double play ball. Runner on 2nd with two outs.
- So Smith gets through five. I have to believe his night will be over with a chance to win.
- Rockies offense quiet in the 6th.
- Daley hits the first batter. Kyle Blanks should have hit into a double play, but Mora's turn was painfully slow. His third time failed DP of the night.
- And now the bases are loaded. Matt Daley is off his game a little bit lately. Not good with how Rafael Betancourt is also struggling.
- Randy Flores to face Tony Gwynn.
- Flores gets the out... on a wild pitch to the screen and the deflects back to Olivo. Blanks out at home.
- Another quick and silent inning offensively. That's great... just keep applying that pressure on the pitching and defense.
- Now it's Joe Beimel. Burning through pitchers quickly this evening.
- Fowler in for Young defensively. Mora still in defensively. Why?
- And now the Padres are pecking Beimel to death. 1st & 3rd with one out. They're going to bust through one of these times.
- Tulo with the tailor made 6-3 double play. Keeps Mora out of the equation.
- Offense: WAKE UP. Need more runs.
- I said WAKE UP.
- Manny Corpas handling the 8th. Jim Tracy's confidence in him must be soaring.
- Veanble triples on an 0-2 pitch. Ugh.
- Tie game. Sac fly by Jerry Hairston.
- I'm sure we'll be seeing Heath Bell now. Great.
- Rockies 2, Padres 2
- It will be Heath Bell. Good luck waking the bats up against him.
- Finally Ian Stewart breaks the slumber with a two out walk. At least there's a pulse.
- That amounts to nothing. So yeah, have to hold them again.
- Rockies turn to closer Morales in a tie game on the road. Alright. Matches up with lefties at least.