Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thoughts on Todd Helton's 2000th game with Rockies

Congratulations are in order for Todd Helton. 2,000 games in Major League Baseball. 2,000. All of them with our Colorado Rockies.

Of active players, only Derek Jeter and Chipper Jones can say the same thing. I couldn't be prouder of the player or the organization for making that happen.

I wish Todd could play 2,000 more. To this day he is still one of my favorite people/players to watch do their job. That counts any sport or any form of entertainment. He's just plain fun to watch. Especially when he's in the box spoiling tough two-strike pitches or make another slick pick at first base. I love those little things.

He's not the same player he once was, but he's still the same man with the same drive and the same professionalism. He's never given away one at-bat, or taken a day off mentally in the field. He's always getting the most out of himself, even when his body wasn't cooperating.

I love the guy. Hell, I named my blog after him. I don't have any kids, so what more could I do to show it?

Players like Todd are the reason people like you and me love the game of baseball. He's the reason Rockies fans are so passionate about the team we're watching right now. We really want to see the Rockies win, but we really really want to see Todd Helton win. He deserves it. We saw the joy on his face in 2007. We want to see it again.

That will always be my favorite sports related picture. How do you top it? It's the ultimate.

But the only two words I really want to say are thank you. Thank you for the memories. Thank you for your loyalty, your leadership. And thank you for being a person we could always be proud to call our own.

2 comments:

Blake said...

Best.Post.Ever.

Nick said...

Good post, Townie. Great moment in Rockies history yesterday.